Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Clip Of The Day (02/11/09)

An oldie, but a goodie....

This commercial was the most overly-quoted thing our senior year of high school (obviously, outside of "I'm Rick James bitch!" and "I'm rich biotch!" Ugh.). Usually when something like this becomes way too popular and over-quoted, I slowly start to hate it. I'm not gonna lie, it happened with this commercial.

However, after being told to YouTube Tracy Morgan's outtakes from some movie called Totally Awesome, I came across it and figured I'd give it a go. Turns out, this commercial is still funny, and no, not because Tracy Morgan is black and mispronounces unorthodox at the end. It's hilarious for 3 specific reasons.

First, the back-to-back lines of "I've lived the 24/7 mode, and I achieved the iso motion." Tracy sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about (I love unintentional comedy). He's achieved the iso motion? That's the equivalent of saying "I've achieved the half-back draw!" or "I've achieved the intentional walk!" Good stuff.

Secondly, and I'm really hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. After his more specific trash talk, I believe Tracy tells Ben Wallace "Ain't nobody better than...REG" WTF? Who the hell is Reg? My best guess is that Reg is supposed to be short for Reggie, but who exactly is Reggie? Reggie Miller? He was on his last legs in the league, and no matter what the time or the place is, you can't really get much whacker than trash-talking someone and ending it with "Ain't nobody better than Reggie Miller!" Comedy gold.

Finally, the main reason I found this so amusing last night is the difference in Ben Wallace's career at the time the commercial was released until now. Originally, the commercial played out like "Oh, this makes me laugh because Tracy Morgan is like 5'4 and Ben Wallace is huge and the best defensive player in the NBA!" Watching this commercial now, I'm thinking Ben Wallace was legitimately afraid to play Tracy one-on-one. I'll take it a step further, I'm willing to bet that Tracy Morgan would beat "Big Ben Wallace" one-on-one if it was winner's ball and Tracy got the rock first. Ben Wallace air-balls free throws! Free Throws! I would bet the house on my mother at least hitting some part of the backboard or rim, and Ben Wallace shoots more free throws everyday then my mom has in her life! It's just a historic fall from grace, and there's a pretty good chance Ben will play a part in LeBron and co. not making the finals this year.

P.S. YouTube Tracy Morgan and watch any of his appearances on talk shows. Need more convincing? Every clip I watched had the word "wasted" in the title.

P.S.S. Ben Wallace is one of the starting centers on my fantasy basketball team.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe by "Reg" Tracy was referring to Reginald VelJohnson of Family Matters fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the fannypack is a wonderful touch.

    ReplyDelete